Sub-Categories of Science
|Essentials of Biochemistry|
This book offers a concise yet comprehensive coverage of basic fundamental and application of Biochemistry to the Medical Sciences. It covers curriculum recommended by Medical Council of India (MCI) and Dental Council (DCI) for MBBS and BDS students. The book is extremely useful to students of Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Veterinary, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology and other health sciences who are studying Biochemistry as basic subject.
Salient Features -
• The Book is written in a lucid and interesting manner to make it more student friendly, in easy to understand style.
• It has an appealing format and is systematically organized into different sections. The illustrations are lively and text has appropriate headings highlighting the key points.
• It provides updated information and advances in metabolism and genetic engineering including molecular basis of genetic diseases.
• The book includes topics of recent interest like Recombinant DNA technology, Gene therapy, Free radicals and antioxidants, as well as burning global medical problems such as AIDS, Cancer Hypercholesterolemia, Obesity, Cardiovascular disease and Diabetes Mellitus etc. ..more
|Microbiology: Basic & Applied Aspects|
Microbiology began since ancient times when people learned to grind lenses from pieces of glass and combine them to produce magnifications great enough to enable microbes to be seen. Since then microorganisms are exceptionally attractive models for studying fundamental life processes. Microorganisms can be grown conveniently in test tubes or flasks, thus requiring less space and maintenance than larger plants and animals. Microbes grow rapidly and reproduce at an unusually high rate, some species of microbes undergo almost 100 generations in 24 hours period. The metabolic processes of microbes follow patterns that occur among higher plants and animals.
The contents are as under :
• Historical Foundations and Scope of Microbiology • General Characteristics and Taxonomy of Microorganisms • Methods in Microbiology • Prokaryotic Cells : The Bacteria and Mycoplasma • Eukaryotic Cells : The Microorganisms • Microbial Genetics • Microbial Physiology and Metabolism • Genetics of Bacteriophage • Miscellaneous Bacterial Diseases • Physical and Chemical Control Measures of Microorganisms • Microorganisms and Human Interactions • Tools and Techniques of Genetic Engineering • Soil and Aquatic Microbiology • Food and Industrial Microbiology • Nitrogen Fixation by Microorganisms • DNA and RNA Virus Diseases • Antimicrobial Drugs : Their Mechanism of Action • Fermentation and Symbiotic Interactions in Organisms • Immunotherapy and Immune Assays • Fungal Diseases • References • Index
The contents of this book will be helpful to the undergraduate and post-graduate students of Microbiology Biochemistry, Agriculture science and Food science. ..more
Plant lipids are important sources of energy
and nutrition to human beings. They are the
only sources of essential fatty acids to a major
section of the population. Lipids are
concentrated sources of energy. Plants lipids
are cholesterol free and are of better quality
than animal lipids. Plant sterols mimic cholesterol
and are useful in reducing cholesterol. In recent
years these lipids have gained importance in
non-food category also. They serve as fuel and
also as lubricants. They are also an important
ingredient of cosmetics. Lipids are components
of plant membranes and play a highly useful
role in plant growth and metabolism. They are
key constituents required for photosynthesis.
Basic aspects of lipids, their components ,
derivatives, their chemistry and biochemistry
have been dealt in detail.
Some aspects of major and minor plant
lipids and their utility has also been presented.
Similarly the analytical details of lipophilic
constituents has also been considered. The
contents includes : Introduction Lipids
Fatty Acids Phospholipids Glycoliids
Terpenes Phenolics Sterols Waxes
Plant Membranes Metabolism Lipid
Metabolism Lipid Soluble Vitamins Lipid
Functions Factors Affecting Lipid Composition
Nutritional Quality of Lipids Oleochemicals
Bioenergy Lipids from Crop Plants Lipids
from Other Plants Analysis of Lipid
Constituents. This book should be useful to the
students and researchers in Plant Science and
Plant Biochemistry apart from those involved
in Food and Nutrition. ..more