Environmental biotechnology is the application of biotechnology used to study the environment. It is mainly involved in the protection of environment such as the treatment of waste water, solid waste management, bioremediation of recalcitrant compound etc. Presently the world is facing a number of environmental problems like acid rain, depletion of ozone layer, disposal of animal waste etc. These problems can be solved by approach based on technology as well as detailed knowledge of environmental biology. The present book “A Text Book of Environmental Biotechnology” is specially designed in keeping the view of graduate and post graduate students of biosciences of various Indian Universities. The topics covered in the text have been explained in a lucid manner by using simple language, suitable diagrams to make the concepts illustrative.
The contents includes:
• Introduction to environmental biotechnology • Waste water treatment
• Solid waste: Sources and management • Biodegradation • Bioremediation
• Biogeochemical cycles • Biological nitrogen fixation • Biopesticides
• Biofertilizers • Renewable and non-renewable resources • Bioenergy from wastes • Acid rain • Green house effect
• Ozone depletion • Genetically modified organisms (GMO) and environment
• Eco-friendly products • Biodiversity and its conservation • Biosensors